Hotel Polski is one of the oldest hotels in Krakow. Urban documents from the second half of the eighteenth century mention two tenement houses located by the Royal Route, near the St. Florian’s Gate, one of which served as an inn called “Under the White Eagle”. The second corner corner, apart from the tavern, also housed a small brewery in its walls. In 1913, the prince Adam Ludwik Czartoryski (1872-1937) became the owner of both houses, who then modernized them creating the “Hotel Polski”.
In the 1950s, the Hotel was nationalized by the then communist authorities. In December 1991, after political changes, he was returned to the rightful owners. It was then that he adopted a new, extended name: “Hotel Polski under the White Eagle”. From July 2014, the hotel is managed by the hotel chain: Donimirski hotels
Princes Czartoryski of the Lithuanian Pogoń coat of arms, is one of the finest families of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, originating from the Grand Duke of Lithuania Gedymin. The title of the prince of the Czartoryski family dates back to the thirteenth century, when its protoplasts ruled the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1386 their cousin, Grand Duke Jagiełło (around 1352-1434) was baptized and took the queen of Poland, Jadwiga, as his wife. He was also crowned King Władysław II Jagiełło, giving birth to the royal dynasty of the Jagiellonians. This dynasty ruled a unified Polish-Lithuanian state for two more centuries. The Princes Czartoryski included the territory of Lithuania with their influence, while their royal cousins exercised power in Kraków. This state lasted until the mid-seventeenth century, when the Czartoryski family came out of the shadows and began to play an important role in the political life of the whole state.
For centuries, family members, often holding the highest offices in the country, contributed to building its power and prosperity. During the times of national captivity, Czartoryski, in the person of Prince Adam (1770-1861), they headed the Great Emigration centered around Hôtel Lambert, the Parisian residence of the House.
Interiors of the Hotel “Under the White Eagle” are decorated with reproductions of works from the Museum’s collection. Czartoryski in Krakow.
This is the oldest patriotic-historical museum in Poland. The great collection owes its uprising to Princess Izabella of Flemings Czartoryska (1746-1835), who, witnessing the loss of independence by Poland, began in 1801 to create collections under the significant call: Past-Future. Initially, the collections were exhibited in the Czartoryski estate in Puławy, in buildings specially built for this purpose – the Temple of the Sybil and the Gothic House. After the fall of the November Uprising, in 1830, the collections were largely looted by the Russians. What ultimately survived was transported to Paris and placed in the Hotel Lambert, belonging to the Dukes of Czartoryski. There, the collection was rebuilt and multiplied. In the 1870s, Prince Władysław Czartoryski (1828-1894) decided to move the collection to Krakow. Opened in 1876, the Museum collects Western European paintings, militaria, Middle Eastern art, artistic handicrafts and ancient collections. The most valuable works include: “Portrait of Lady with an Ermine” by Leonardo da Vinci and “Landscape with a Good Samaritan” by Rembrandt van Rijn. The collection also included “Portrait of a young man” by Rafael Santi, but he was robbed during the Second World War by the German occupiers.